Monday 9 June 2014

The Final Chapter- The Lawrence Lions

Of course after all the intrigue created by my discovery of the existence of the Lawrence Lions there was just one more thing I had to do to complete the story; visit the lions at the Otago Museum’s Animal Attic in Dunedin.

This is where Sultan & Sonia now “live”, in a glass case surrounded by hundreds of stuffed animals, birds & bugs from around the world. Really quite a grotesque sight, but morbidly fascinating all the same. Those Victorians have a lot to answer for.




Footnote- the internet really is an amazing place. I received a comment on my blog post (link above) from the daughter of the man who shot the lions.

From Sarah Lodge;
Hi, it was my father who shot the lions. He is a real animal lover and hated killing such magnificent creatures. However, Craig the 6 yr old boy had been quite badly injured along with his mother by Sonya the female, so it had to be. 

2 comments:

  1. An amazing story.....your post may not be the final story...plus I think lots more people will be visiting Lawrence and the Otago Museum....me included!
    Ciao

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jimu, you may right, there could still be people that see me story & have a link to the lions. At least we're building up a history on them.

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a message, I love reading them! All comments are personally moderated by me and I will post and answer them as soon as possible, Shellie