Tuesday 10 June 2014

Backup a bit…Arrowtown & the Lower Shotover

Backup a bit to those gloriously sunny blue sky autumn days that now seem a long while ago. I’ve only just managed to process the dozens of photos I took during the few weeks we were in Arrowtown & Cromwell so I thought I’d do another couple of blog posts as I didn’t want you to miss out on seeing some of them, especially the spectacular autumn colours. Central Otago is certainly the region to experience autumn in all it's glory. I’ll try not to “talk” too much otherwise I’ll be here for the next few days typing so here is a pictorial tour of Arrowtown & the Lower Shotover valley.

These first three are from the farm that we stayed on for the Arrowtown Autumn Rally. The farm had many old carts and wagons dotted around the paddocks. The caravan didn’t look like it had been used for many years.

The old & the new


Woolshed longdrop (kiwi for outhouse)- a room with a view


A neglected cart near the front gate.


I left my visit too late in the afternoon to the Lower Shotover Road historic bridge, the bridge & river were disappearing into the shade. Built in 1909 this former main highway bridge, now fully restored, is used as a pedestrian & cycle bridge over the Shotover River.


Looking towards The Remarkables with the replacement highway bridge in view.


And towards Coronet Peak-


The Crown Range behind Arrowtown & the first snow of the season.


Shotover River Valley, near Arthurs Point



Arthurs Point, Queenstown


A quirky cluster of letterboxes at Arthurs Point, Queenstown.



Edith Cavell Bridge, Arthurs Point, Upper Shotover River – Built between 1917-1919, it is a “parabolic rib arch design” and one of the most iconic sights of Queenstown, the Shotover River & Skippers Canyon.


The season’s first dusting of snow on Coronet Peak, look closely for the chairlifts and the buildings at the base of the ski-runs.


Next up...Gibbston Valley Gold

2 comments:

Thank you for taking the time to leave a message, I love reading them! All comments are personally moderated by me and I will post and answer them as soon as possible, Shellie