Tuesday 22 April 2014

Warbirds- Part 1



Warbirds Over Wanaka is well over and we have returned to Lowburn for a few days. We have had a fabulous time not only enjoying the airshow but enjoying the company of many like-minded people. We invited the other Ultima owners over for "Happy Hour" on Saturday night along with a few of our other neighbours.


On Saturday, David & I, along with many of the others watched the airshow from up on the plateau where we had a birds-eye view of the displays.


On Sunday, David & a few of the men spent time talking "shop" & comparing notes. I went down to the show to take some close up photos from the runway fence line (we all had tickets as part of our parking package). And look at that blue sky! While most of New Zealand battled a "weather bomb", we had a hot sunny day.
 

I won't say how many photos I managed to take over the three days, suffice to say that other than the "good" ones that I've pulled out as I skimmed through the pile, I don't think the rest in the folder are going to see the light of day any time soon! And I'll take this opportunity of apologising for the number of photos that will be posted, especially if you are on limited data. It was just about impossible to choose which shots to run with.

I'll start the photos with this beautiful & graceful bomber (can a bomber be graceful?)

The extremely rare Avro Anson; this aircraft is the only remaining airworthy wartime Avro Anson MK1 in the world.

 
 
 
 

I'm still having trouble uploading photos & posting to my blog so I'll keep this one short & hope I can post more tomorrow.

Continued on in Part 2

2 comments:

  1. Steph Kavanagh16 June 2015 at 23:06

    I found this blog researching places to visit on our much anticipated road trip to warbirds over wanaka 16. The yak3 with the blue is my uncles and my brother helped restore it. He actually proposed at the wow practice day of the 2014 show. Him in the Yak and his fiance in the Anson. http://i.stuff.co.nz/southland-times/news/9961750/Proposal-made-in-warbird-over-Wanaka
    The only this they got wrong is the anson is owned by Daniels friend and yak, our uncle.

    Am loving reading your blog, and your photography is amazing. Its like a good book though, cant put it down!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Steph for the compliments, they're much appreciated. I'm glad you're enjoying the blog and photos- I tell any new people that I introduce to my blog that to catch up- they need a good bottle of wine and a few hours....every day for a month! I talk as much as I write :)
      I seem to recall the proposal at Warbirds too, I think it was when they did the victory roll that I remember. I don't know whether you found it or not, but in my Flickr photo albums (there's a link on the right hand side of the blog at the top) there's a album from the Tauranga Airshow which has quite a number of the Yaks in it, perhaps your uncle was there too.
      Thanks again, enjoy Warbirds '16, we may even return.

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a message, I love reading them! All comments are personally moderated by me and I will post and answer them as soon as possible, Shellie