Friday 15 January 2016

Lovely Lupins- MacKenzie Country

Finally a post where I can let the photos do the talking. And finally the wind stopped long enough for me to shoot some of the stunning colour combinations of the lupins (russell lupines), found in the McKenzie Basin.


Other than a few shots taken along the stream at Lake McGregor, most of these photos were taken in a small patch of lupins  growing near the cribs (see last photo) on the edge of Lake Alexandrina. Just the type of garden a holiday home needs; one that just outside the gate, needs no maintenance yet produces a stunning display just in time for the holiday season.


Don’t forget to click on the photos to enlarge, especially if you’re wanting to study the amazing colour combinations in greater detail.










I think this is a native soldier fly/namu which I found on one of the flower spikes; they feed on pollen.




That's it. I hoped you enjoyed your virtual display of the beautiful but often maligned, and not always welcome, flower. While it’s not the last of the lupins we’ll see on our travels, I’m thrilled to have had the chance finally to study and photograph the flowers in much greater detail than most people that visit the area to see them.


4 comments:

  1. Gorgeous photos, so many amazing colour combinations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Katrina, much appreciated. I was amazed at the colours too, so amazed I think I might just have to go back there again next year! And hope the wind isn't blowing.

      Delete
  2. A bewitching symphony of colours beautifully captured!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a message, I love reading them! All comments are personally moderated by me and I will post and answer them as soon as possible, Shellie